Making sure your web materials are ADA compliant are imperative. Below are some resources shared by our own Ricki Rycraft (via Stacy Swenck) and Marlene Cvetko.
The first resource is a powerpoint from the Accessibility workshop shared at the recent @MSJC Tech Academy.
The second resource is a self paced course offered by Blackboard, Inc. Follow Stacy’s instructions below for details:
- Create an account in Blackboard CourseSites http://coursesites.blackboard.com/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp (user name and password do not have to be the same as your MSJC Blackboard login)
- Login and scroll to the bottom of screen to “Browse Course Catalog.”
- In search bar, type “Universal Design and Accessibility”
- Search results should show “UDA 101 Universal Design and Accessibility for Online Courses” (Instructor Beth Stinson)
- Be sure to use the button on the right of the course name to “Enroll” in the course (it took me a while and some frustration to figure out the requirement to actually “enroll” in the course so that all the links in the course become valid)
- Once you are enrolled in the course, most information is under “Course Content” in the Menu.
It’s informative and Free! Lots of links to other resources, too.
Thanks to Ricki, Stacy and Marlene for sharing!
Blackboard is preparing to release Blackboard Mobile Learn, a new version of the company’s flagship learning management system tailored for smart phones and other mobile devices. It will debut as a native application for Android, iPhone, BlackBerry, and “other Web-enabled devices” in the late spring (June).
The system will mimic the full functionality of the Web-based Learn platform, including two-way communication between students and teachers, access to gradebooks, blog access and commenting, discussion board participation, and student-to-student e-mail communications.
Excerpt adapted from:
Have you received this error while working in Blackboard Tests?
blackboard.servlet.tags.ngui.picker.DateRangePickerTag tag restrict: the end time cannot be earlier than or equal to the start time.
For reference, the Error ID is 8e932409-c3cc-4eed-940e-a5bd030f2136.
You are not the only one! Funny thing is that you cannot fix it on your own once it occurs.
How does it occur? When setting date/time restrictions, you must choose to establish both an end date/time AND a start date/time. In previous versions, this was not necessary. You can simply establish an end date. But in v9, the start date must be established as well.
Place a check mark in both the Display After and Display Until checkboxes and verify that the end date is later than the start date.
This issue has been reported to Blackboard Support and they are working on a fix.
Thanks to Matt Waters, Faculty Resource Coordinator, for sharing this blog posting from Liz Stover, Instructional Technologist at Cape Fear Community College in North Carolina. Good tips for using Blackboard Tests and Quizzes. Enjoy!
If you get the following message while selecting links in Blackboard “Navigation to the web page was canceled” then go to this link for a solution: Navigation Fix
With the upgrade, we often realize things we miss or would still like to see. The best way to aid the process for seeing these enhancements in future versions is to suggest to Blackboard, inc. Below is the link to the Blackboard Suggestion Box:
Be sure to be as detailed as possible to help consideration. Remember – the voice of the user community can make a difference!